I had a lot of fun with the first lines quiz I posted a couple weeks ago, so decided to do another one.
~ I will post the first lines of ten books. (I skip any beginning quotations or prefaces.)
~ You guess the titles and authors and leave your guesses in the comments.
~ You don’t have to guess on all ten; guess on the ones you know.
~ I’ll update the post by putting the lines in bold and adding titles and authors when someone gets one correct.
~ Have fun!
1. Once upon a cold and luminous Saturday morning, in an urban hamlet of tenements, factories, and trolley cars on the western slopes of the borough of Brooklyn, a boy named Michael Devlin woke in the dark. – Snow in August, Pete Hamill – stumped ya on this one!
2. My mother didn’t try to stab my father until I was six, but she must have shown signs of oddness before that. – Never Have Your Dog Stuffed, Alan Alda – guessed by Debra
3. At night I would lie in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracks of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making that propeller sound, a high-pitched zzzzzz that hummed along my skin. – The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd – guessed by Joy
4. The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble. – The Time Traveler’s Wife, Audrey Niffenegger – guessed by Sherry
5. When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn’t how babies were made, but why. – My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult – guessed by Stacy
6. Can I explain why I wanted to jump off the top of a tower block? – A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby – author guessed by Debra and Vasilly on Twitter
7. He left the coffee-scented warmth of the Main Street Grill and stood for a moment under the green awning. – At Home in Mitford, Jan Karon – guessed by Riva
8. Anyone in the neighborhood could tell you how Michael and Pauline first met. – An Amateur Marriage, Anne Tyler – another stumper!
9. When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he’d reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him. – The Road, Cormac McCarthy – guessed by Raidergirl
10. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. – I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith – guessed by Suey
Thanks for playing along, everyone – it was fun! Stay tuned for another quiz next Monday.